Theatre Venue Technician
Date Posted: Mar 21, 2017
Application Deadline: May 01, 2017
Start Date: Jun 19, 2017
Region: Hamilton Area
Hamilton Fringe Festival
The Hamilton Fringe Festival is an eleven-day performing arts event that runs every July in downtown Hamilton, Ontario.
Presenting live theatre in an informal, accessible and inexpensive environment, the Fringe strives to break down traditional boundaries to participation in the arts- for artists and audiences alike.
We are currently seeking 2 Venue Technicians for a 6-week contract position within the Hamilton Fringe's Production Department. Reporting to the Technical Director, each of these positions will oversee the implementation of seven Hamilton Fringe productions in a specific venue. These positions will require evening and weekend hours.
This position is funded by Canada Summer Jobs, a federal employment program for returning post secondary students. This provides an excellent opportunity for a highly-motivated technical theatre students to receive hands-on, practical experience in a professional setting. To qualify for the position you must between the ages of 15-30 and be a full-time student returning to school in the fall.
Key Areas of Responsibility
Primarily responsible for the operation and set up/strike of a Hamilton Fringe Festival venue including the supervision of crew, maintenance of equipment, and operation of productions under the supervision of the Fringe's Interim Festival Director and Technical Director.
Assist with the load-ins, set-ups and strikes in all performance spaces.
In conjunction with the Technical Director oversee all lighting and sound level sessions, and onstage rehearsals.
The responsibilities listed above address the key duties of this position. Additional related tasks may be assigned at the discretion of the Executive Festival Director
Professional Qualities and Skills
• Technical experience (lighting, sound, theatre technician) in a theatre, performing arts centre, or educational institute.
• Have excellent communication skills and be highly organized.
• Candidate must be a hard-working and motivated individual with ability to self-direct as well as work well with supervisors and peers.
• Stage Management experience as well as knowledge in operating theatre lighting and sound equipment
• Ability to problem solve under pressure while maintaining a friendly demeanour
• Working knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act
• Valid driver's license is an asset
• Should have valid first aid certification
How to Apply:
Please send cover letter and resume in one pdf to email@example.com. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please put VENUE TECH in the subject line.
Thank you for your interest in the hamilton Fringe!