Date Posted: Jan 25, 2017
Start Date: Mar 06, 2017
Salary: See below
Region: Metro Toronto Area
Established in 1991, Kaeja d’Dance is a Toronto based dance company that is renowned for creating exceptional contemporary dance work, award winning dance films and empowering education & outreach programs. At the heart of Kaeja are two dynamic energies – Co Artistic Directors Karen & Allen Kaeja. With their Company of exquisite dancers, Karen & Allen push the boundaries of Canadian contemporary dance and infuse local and international communities with exciting new experiences both on and off the stage.
Karen & Allen collaborate with international and local dance artists, composers, musicians, stage & costume designers to create performances that have captivated audiences in Toronto, Canada and across the globe. They have presented over 60 original works and have been commissioned to choreograph works on dance companies locally and in England, Mexico, India, Sweden and the United States.
Kaeja’s signature aesthetic explores the equal partnership of men and women through Contact Dance and utilizes Improvisation as a tool for creation. With performances filled with athletic intensity and theatrical imagery, the Company celebrates many themes in their work that relate to family history, community and the human condition. Karen & Allen’s partnership is a match of two distinct sensibilities and artistic visions that fuel Kaeja d’Dance’s memorable and physically passionate performances.
Kaeja d’Dance is seeking a General Manager to partner with the Co-Artistic Directors to fulfill the artistic vision of the company. This is an exciting opportunity for an arts professional to work with one of Canada’s established and vibrant contemporary dance companies.
This position (37.5 to 25 hours per week) will provide opportunities for a talented, ambitious individual to take on a leading role in stewarding the development of the Company’s continuity and new initiatives. The ideal candidate is a highly organized, self-directed problem solver, who exhibits exceptional good judgement and a commitment to the audience and donor experience. If you have a passion for arts management, developing audiences, forging connections, community engagement and contributing directly to the success of an innovative arts organization, this job is for you!
RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
• Public and private sector funding research, proposal writing, evaluation and reporting
• Project management of multi-year community engagement projects, festivals, tours, film shoots, special events and creation projects
• Marketing, outreach and communication strategy development for events and productions
• Budget management, accounting/bookkeeping, payroll, banking, contracting
• Stakeholder relations including those with community partner organizations, presenters, funders, donors and perhaps most importantly, our audiences
• Supervising full and part-time employees and contract staff and volunteers
• Knowledge of the non-profit arts and Canadian dance scenes will be considered an asset
EDUCATION, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
• 5+ years in a management position
•Incredibly detail oriented. You love the details – managing critical paths, creating timelines, maintaining schedules, tracking/documenting materials, proofreading copy, etc.
• Excellent organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple tasks, schedules, personalities and competing interests simultaneously
• Advanced problem solving skills. You are a resourceful and creative thinker when faced with a challenge, and you understand that every problem has a solution. You think ahead, anticipate potential problems/outcomes and plan accordingly
• Highly developed research and writing skills and a track record of successful funding submissions. You love reading strategic plans from funders and finding ways to connect your organizations existing programming and people to their goals and priorities. You are comfortable and adept at writing everything from snappy marketing copy and press releases, to donor appreciation letters and corporate sponsorship asks
• Strong interpersonal skills. Comfortable working with a variety of stakeholders such as volunteers, local politicians, small business owners and community groups with a commitment to quality customer service. You feel comfortable talking to strangers and building connections for our work and the company
• Comfortable working in non-profit setting with a strong interest in the performing arts, community engagement, public space activation and city building
• Advanced computer competency in word processing, spreadsheets, data management and social media platforms
• Knowledge of Quickbooks or another accounting software (Freshbooks or Simply Accounting) OR a strong affinity to, and ease in, learning new programs
• Can-do attitude, positive outlook with a desire to work collaboratively to make magical things happen!
One of Canada’s longest standing contemporary dance companies, Toronto’s Kaeja d’Dance’s husband and wife founders are at the heart of the Company. Since 1991, Kaeja d’Dance has created award-winning contemporary dance performances, community and audience engagement events, site-specific works, acclaimed dance films and educational programs. With over 160 original works including commissions here and abroad, the company develops innovative performance platforms for professional and community dance artists provoking collaborative relationships between the body and the everyday. Karen and Allen’s signature aesthetic is known for its athletic intensity, sensual articulation and theatrical imagery.
How to Apply:
• Submission deadline EXTENDED: The position will remain open until filled.
• The GM position can be 37.5 to 25 hours/week (currently it is part time)
• Salary for this position is based on a full time (37.5 hours per week) salary of $50,000 annually but will be prorated to if part time
• Position will be vacant as of March 13th
• Please email your cover letter, resume and 2 references as one single pdf document to: “GM Search Committee” firstname.lastname@example.org
• The committee will review applications as they arrive
• Our outgoing GM will remain available to facilitate an excellent transition
• Kaeja d’Dance is open to shared management solutions
Kaeja d’Dance is an equal opportunity employer. While we thank all applicants for their interest, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Those who will be invited for an interview will be contacted by Wednesday February 15, 2017