Assistant Technical Director
Date Posted: Mar 06, 2013
Application Deadline: Apr 01, 2013
Region: Metro Toronto Area
Soulpepper Theatre Company
Soulpepper Theatre Company (www.soulpepper.ca) was founded in 1998 by twelve actors dedicated to enriching the cultural fabric of Toronto by creating its first classical repertory company. Under the visionary and dynamic leadership of Albert Schultz, Artistic Director, Soulpepper set out an ambitious and unique three-part mandate: 1. To present vital Canadian interpretations of history’s greatest plays. 2. To train the next generation of theatre artists. 3. To inspire and enlighten our youth through outreach and mentorship programs. The organization has recently moved into our own permanent facility, the Young Centre for the Performing Arts, and has successfully executed the growth of our programming including moving to a year-round teaching and performing schedule.
The Assistant Technical Director role represents an opportunity to join a creative and dynamic performing arts organization. The compensation package will include an annual salary commensurate with experience, and comprehensive employment benefits.
Reporting to the Technical Director, the Assistant Technical Director will assist with the technical and production elements for daily production operations of Soulpepper Theatre Company and its joint venture, the Young Centre for the Performing Arts.
Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• ensuring that all technical elements of assigned productions are delivered on schedule and on budget, liaising with designers, and troubleshooting technical challenges as required;
• create, maintain, publish and ensure accurate distribution of all Soulpepper show-by-show production schedules;
• assist in sourcing, costing and purchasing materials and establishing labour requirements for lighting, sound, video and scenic elements for productions, as assigned by the Technical Director;
• in consultation with the Technical Director, assume lead technical responsibilities for assigned productions;
• produce AutoCAD plans and construction drawings and other paperwork as directed;
• supervise the building and painting of scenery in the Soulpepper carpentry, paint and prop shops as directed;
• maintain, in cooperation with all departments, accurate inventory and organization of Soulpepper storage facilities;
• liaise with production’s stage management staff as necessary, including coordinating production meetings when required;
• act as a supervisor for Young Centre house and causal technicians as directed;
• recruit, schedule, and train casual labour as required for the Soulpepper production department as directed;
• participate in the creation, implementation and enforcement of Soulpepper and Young Centre Health and Safety policies;
• serve, if called on to do so, on the Joint Health and Safety Committee to internally audit the state of workplace health and safety of Soulpepper and the Young Centre;
• facilitate technical support for the Soulpepper Academy, Young Centre Resident Artist programs, and whoever else may require technical assistance in the Baillie Centre or Young Centre as necessary;
• contributes to the overall success of Soulpepper and the Young Centre by accomplishing related results as needed; and
• other duties as may be required.
The successful candidate will have:
• a strong knowledge of contemporary theatrical construction techniques and materials, advanced awareness of safe and efficient theatrical labour standards, theatrical rigging, and typical schedules and timelines for mounting performances of all types;
• proven skills and knowledge in contemporary theatrical construction techniques and materials, advanced awareness of safe and efficient theatrical labour standards, theatrical rigging, and typical schedules and timelines for mounting performances of all types;
• strong knowledge of Microsoft Office applications;
• superior proficiency in (AutoCAD);
• strong leadership, decision-making, analytical and problem-solving skills;
• excellent planning, organizational, time-management and team building skills;
• strong interpersonal and oral/written communication skills;
• self-starter, detail oriented, flexible;
• ability to work independently as well as in a team environment;
• ability to thrive in a fast-paced work environment with multiple deadlines; and
• a valid Ontario driving license.
• a post-secondary degree from a recognized technical theatre training institution or an equivalent combination of education and professional experience.
• 2 to 4 years’ experience in a variety of aspects of technical theatre with recent experience in the not-for-profit sector.
Soulpepper is an artist-founded, classical repertory company with a three-tiered mandate to present vital Canadian interpretations of history's great stories, to train the next generation of theatre artists and to enrich and inspire youth through mentorship and access. Since its inception in 1998, Soulpepper has built:
• A 12 month season of more than 600 performances
• A passionate audience of over 100,000 each year
• An artistic ensemble of 150 established and emerging theatre artists
• A paid residency program for Canadian theatre artists
• A robust portfolio of youth programs, reaching over 8,500 youth annually
• A 46,000 square foot state-of-the-art performing arts facility – the Young Centre for the Performing Arts - which anchors Toronto’s Distillery Historic District
Soulpepper is proud to be North America’s only year-round classical repertory company, a prominent Canadian producer of original work from existing sources, a leading employer of artists in the City of Toronto and a partner in neighborhood education initiatives.
The organization resides in our own permanent facility, the Young Centre for the Performing Arts, and we will continue to grow our programming and education and outreach activities. Soulpepper is also the managing partner of the Young Centre and is responsible for all Young Centre programming activities.
How to Apply:
HOW TO APPLY
Only candidates with legal authorization to work in Canada will be considered. Soulpepper is an equal opportunity employer and invites all applicants with proper credentials to apply for the position. Soulpepper thanks all candidates for their interest however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Please send résumé and cover letter (including salary expectations) detailing how you can contribute to these dynamic not-for-profit arts organizations by no later than
April 1, 2013
Please quote ATD13 on the subject line when applying by email.
To: Search Committee – Assistant Technical Director
c/o LJ Savage, Director of Production
Soulpepper Theatre Company
50 Tank House Lane.
Toronto Ontario. M5A 3C4